For many companies, succesfully marketing to and engaging with Generations X and Y is essential to future business growth and success. Let's face it, someday all the seniors and Boomers (sadly, me included) will be gone. So it's important to stay on top of trends and research that helps us understand how the Xers and Yers will find us (and,of course, how we can find them).
A new report from Forrester Research provides some insight and statistics. The survey says that although natural search engine results and then referrals are still driving the most traffic, younger folks (not surprisingly) are increasingly using social chanels to find websites.
• Some 16% of online adults are referred to websites via social channels.
• Among Gen-Y adults, nearly 30% find websites via social networking sites, while 25% do so via
email from friends and family.
• Gen-Y adults are twice as likely to use blog posts and Twitter as referral sources:
• 14% of Gen-Y adults are referred to sites via blog posts, compared with 7% of all adults.
• 10% of Gen-Y adults are referred to sites via Twitter, compared with 5% of all adults.